Friday, July 2, 2010

The show must go on!


Being an entertainer is a ton of fun; I get paid to travel all over and perform at resorts, hotels, private parties and theaters all over the East Coast. We love performing. The sound of applause is much sweeter when it is for you than someone else. We love signing autographs and meeting people after the shows. Natalie & I also really enjoy being able to do what we love together, I think it makes us, as a couple, so much stronger. But there is a side to show business that makes you wish you had sick days built up somewhere. In 2003 I lost my father on a Friday evening and I had 4 shows the following Saturday. I had to do the traveling, the loading and unloading of equipment, and worst of all perform with a smile on my face. It was hard. We have had to work 37 hours straight traveling from one gig to the next all without the audience or the people who hired us knowing how tired we were. I have had to perform sick, or what just recently happened, I went in for a dentist appointment and they decided my wisdom teeth needed to come out. They extracted 2 last Friday at lunchtime and I had a show booked for 10:00 am the next morning and more shows scheduled everyday for the rest of the week. My jaw was sore and I lived off of Mac & Cheese. The hardest part is the fact that my show has so much dialog and I have to try to project my voice, all the while cringing in pain; but as they say the show must go on! Even though it sounds crazy, I wouldn't have it any other way. I think it helps to separate the professionals from the wannabes. THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment